Friday, June 22, 2012

Backlog Assault: 2011 Wrap Party - PDZ Edition


Bought: 19 July 2009  
From: GameStop  
Price: €13.00
Beaten: 04 May 2011

Backloggery Dump:
  • --/06/10 - I'm up to Mission 5, pretty damn disappointing so far.
  • 04/05/11 - Beaten, just on Agent, but I don't think I'd be able to endure harder versions of some of those levels. (sigh) PDZ, what a bummer.
Previously on JiliK's Blog:

20/08/09 - I'm planning on picking up a 360 soon, so I decided to have a gander around the used section at GameStop to see if I could find anything interesting. Prefect Dark Zero immediately caught my eye. While I know it's not the greatest of games, I sunk a hell of a lot of time into Perfect Dark in the N64 days and I really wanted to check this out. And hey, it comes with a fake DataDyne security card thing. That's got to be worth €13 all on it's own.

Thoughts:

I went in with some pretty low expectations here and still I ended up disappointed. That's not to say the game's all bad. I actually thought the weapons felt pretty good, the multiplayer seemed like it could be decent from what I played of it, and I even quite enjoyed one of the later levels: a Middle-Eastern city at night-time, with plenty of opportunity for sniping.

Mostly though, PDZ just isn't much fun to play. It's not like there are a multitude of glaring problems with the game; it's just a pretty dull, generic shooter. Something that becomes all the more more disappointing when you recall the scope, ambition and craftsmanship of the original game. And that's not nostalgia talking; I was playing the excellent XBLA game right alongside this one.

And I can't believe I paid €13 for the collector's edition. D There's seriously nothing on the bonus disc worth bothering with - a few bits of concept art, a theme and a few gamerpics if I recall correctly. If you must check this out, leave the steelbox version where you found it.

No comments: