Monday, July 18, 2011

Backlog Assault: Mario Kart Wii

In the last few years I've built up a pretty crazy gaming backlog. This year, I've decided it's high time I do something about it. Join me as I begin to regret more than ever all those impulse Steam buys and 99 cent PS2 bargains:



Title: Mario Kart Wii
Platform: Wii

Bought: 01 April 2010
From: HMV.co.uk
Price: €40.00
Beaten: 20 June 2011

Backloggery Dump:
  • ??/04/10 - I've finished the 50cc cups and I'm about halfway through the 100cc ones.
  • 15/07/11 - Got golds in the last two 150cc cups tonight. Not sure I'll bother with mirror mode though.
Previously on JiliK's Blog:

12/06/11 - I guess I've missed out on the main draw of the game with my crappy broadband connection, but I really didn't enjoy the Mario Kart Wii single player. The AI rubber-banding and the unbalanced power ups, the things people have been complaining about for years, were not only not improved in that game, they were worse than ever.

Thoughts:

So, I finally decided to dust off Mario Kart Wii the other day and finish up the 150cc cups, of which there were about six left to do. And I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy it any more than the last time I played it over a year ago. As it was the 150cc cups I was trying beat, the AI was, of course, more ridiculously cheap than ever, ramming me like they were playing Burnout and raining blue shells, red shells and lightning down on me like confetti and usually combining the two, just to be sure. :D

This might honestly be the most unfair, unbalanced Mario Kart I've ever played. I mean, previous entries were pretty cheap, but I'm not sure the AI was ever as aggressive as this and I don't remember getting hit by two or three power ups in a row ever being such a regular occurrence. I guess Nintendo is trying to make Mario Kart as chaotic and unpredictable as possible in an effort to make it more fun. Maybe it is when you've got a bunch of people playing. As a purely single player experience though, it's complete bullshit and after this, I think I might be done with the series for good.

No comments: